sábado, 21 de abril de 2007

Medieval story

“I’m tired of being a vassal.” “Why should I be happy to belong to my class?” the man muttered. The vassal had to bear up all his landlord’s burdens, taxes and offences since he was born. The vassal paid his allegiance to his lord with tributes, military service, the work in the land and most of his own agricultural production. But it was the vassal’s morale that was affected and undermined. So he decided to go to the lord’s manor house and tell his lord what he felt.
Since he was a child, the oldies from the manor had told him he was the lord’s bastard son who was conceived in one of those many times of the lord’s drunkenness. Besides this, the vassal had to work the lord’s land day and night so as to raise crops first. The little time left he had, the vassal devoted his efforts in taking care of pastures and his small parcels where meagre products were collected if not ruined because of bad weather conditions.
Insulted, exploited, the vassal was getting tired. Once he reached his 20’s he met a serf from the manor next to his. They wanted to have a family but she was to spend the first night after marriage with the vassal’s lord. The lord had bought the girl just having in mind of his noble right.
-“He will not have that opportunity”, “I will not let him do so”, the vassal was thinking about this possible future and also about his past misadventures while walking in direction to the lord’s castle.
-“What do you want?”
-“To talk to the lord “.
-“You can not”. “He’s not here”.
-“But, It is about my fiancée”.
-“Let him in”, cried a grave voice. It was the lord who was sitting in a huge leathered chair in a dark room just lightened by some candles. The room was cold. The fire in the chimney was a sort of orange.
-“Pardon my lord, for interrupting your…”
-“Come in … what you about to say about your future wife were?” “Is there anything which I do not know?” he interrupted.
-“I do not want to get married”. The fire of the chimney grew in size and the colour of the flames turned from that pale orange to a vermillion.
-“How dare you do such a thing to me?” the lord said while jumping from his chair as a lion. “I have already bought that girl”.
-“I will not let you to have her first”.
The lord started laughing at the boy’s ideas. But you can not. It’s our contract you are my vassal and I am your lord. Anyway, she is my property now”.
The lord was still mocking at the young vassal’s convictions when the boy jumped over the lord and stabbed a knife on him many times. The lord fall on his knees and then to the floor. He lied dead.
Steps were approaching, when the vassal stayed thinking in his past life and stayed there static waiting for his punishment.

No hay comentarios: